The girl above is a real human, and she looks like that most days. Its hard to imagine being able to put my face together like that, as I’m sitting here in my pajamas, with a mud mask drying on my face — spoiler: mud masks actually smell like mud. Awful. I just recently learned this — but Dani has got it going on.
In the last few years I’ve tried to take a real interest in makeup … I’m not getting any younger and I’d like to think someday I’ll look like a grown up / flawless supermodel / Beyoncé. Every time I have a question, and before I go embarrass myself at Sephora, I always reach out to Dani for makeup and beauty advice. She saves me from embarrassing myself in front of the sales people, asking this: “is this eye liner or lip liner”, and more importantly she saves me $$$ … makeup is expensive and I don’t want to waste money on products I don’t need, or products that don’t work. I trust her advice because 1. look at her 2. she’s always trying new products herself. See below for some serious beauty insider knowledge, people:
Q: Where do you shop for makeup and beauty products?
A: Sephora is the mecca for makeup-lovers, so naturally, it’s my go to place for beauty products. I have literally spent hours in Sephora, going up and down every aisle and swatching all the products on the back of my hands and up and down the inside of my forearms. I keep tabs on all the new products, and usually go check those out first.
Q: What are 3 products every girl in her mid-twenties needs in her makeup arsenal?
- Beauty Blender — This is not your ordinary makeup sponge. It will literally change your life. I have recommended it to so many friends and family members, and they all agree. The beauty blender is a fool proof way to apply and blend your foundation. It melts the product into your skin, leaving a really natural finish. I am loving the new black beauty blender because it doesn’t get that stained look from the foundation, like the original pink one.
- Liquid Lipstick — Liquid lipstick formulas have been all the rage lately, and for good reason: pigmented, flawless, matte lip color that lasts all day. The key is to carefully apply a very thin layer to your lips to avoid flaking, as liquid lipstick formulas tend to be drier than traditional lipsticks. My favorite brand is Stila’s Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Pencil — Filling in your brows frames your face and pulls your whole makeup look together with ease. This pencil is so thin, it creates hair-like strokes that look real, and the formula stays all day without smudging. My favorite part is the spooly brush on the end. Use it to brush through your brows to blend in the color.
Q: Whats one beauty trend you’re into?
A: Highlighting and contouring have been real popular lately. I know we’ve all seen those Instagram videos where a girl has crazy light and dark lines painted all over her face. Now, I don’t get Kardashian Krazy with it, but contouring is an effective way to change the shape of your face, or get rid of that pesky double chin. It doesn’t have to be that complicated, especially with these creamy, blendable sticks by Smashbox. They even come with photos and instructions.
Q: Are there any Spring beauty trends that the average gal can apply to her makeup routine?
A: Definitely! Bright, candy apple red lips were seen all over the Spring fashion shows — a trend I’m personally a fan of year round. Every girl can pull off red lipstick, and will look instantly polished and put together. Promise. (Product Recommendation: Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick).
Q: Do you use anti-aging products?
A: Yes! I was once told that you’re never too young to start an anti-aging regimen, and, as terrifying as that is for a 12 year old to hear, being in my mid-twenties now and starting to see fine lines, I have to agree.
- Sunscreen is a no brainer and, the most effective in preventing fine lines, wrinkles, and sun spots. I apply it every day under my foundation, and bring it down my neck. Have you ever seen someone with flawless skin, and a saggy neck? Not cute. (Product Recommendation: Ole Henriksen Protect The Truth™ Vitamin C SPF 50+ Sunscreen)
- My next holy grail anti-aging product is Retin-A, for many reasons. It resurfaces the texture of your skin to make it smoother, fights off blemishes, and even skin tone. I use the heavy duty stuff, prescribed by a dermatologist. Note: a pea-sized drop is all you need, and goes a very long way. Apply too much and you’ll be peeling for a few days. Again, not cute.
Guys, if you have even half a brain you’ll head to Sephora and scoop up some of these products. If you get scared, like I do, think about her face and the fact that you could look almost as cool as her. Get the lipstick, and look like Dani.
Now if only she had her own youtube channel with tutorials showing me how to use these products…
photos: weddings by scott & dana